Many people have had issues with the fact that their partners are way too involved with pornography, and it is usually women who are more uncomfortable with this.
There are a lot of reasons why women worry that their partners love, or are even obsessed with porn. This is not an unfounded worry as there are several reasons why pornography might not be the best thing for a couple’s sex life.
1. Porn is Not Real: A lot of people often forget that pornography is not a realistic depiction of what sex should be. These are actors playing a part and if one becomes extremely obsessed with watching such content, then definitely, they would expect their real sex lives to work the same way. Since this is obviously an impossibility, the porn-obsessed person is left feeling dissatisfied with his sex life and even resentful of his partner. This does not lay a strong foundation for the best relationship.
2. Sexual addiction: It is believed that addiction to porn is only one step away from addiction to sex. We can see why a lot of people share this opinion. While the jury is still out on whether or not sexual addiction is a real health affliction, we cannot overlook the fact that some people will swear that there is something so much more wrong with their partner other than just plain love for sex. As a fallout from the first point, a man who becomes addicted to porn can easily become a sex addict since his main focus would be trying to find the kind of sex or sexual partners experienced on screen.
3. Sexual Dissatisfaction: Even if a porn addict is not a sex addict, he would begin to find it difficult to achieve satisfaction through regular intercourse. Most porn watchers usually masturbate to what they see. While this could be healthy if done occasionally, a man who only gets satisfied through masturbation would certainly never feel the same kind of contentment with a partner.
All these points being noted, however, does not mean pornography in relationships is the worst thing in the world.
Below are ways in which porn can actually help your relationship.
1. Openness: Pornography sometimes encourages you to become more open about what you want sexually if you or your partner are a bit shy about expressing your sexual needs. Slotting in a DVD while the both of you watch, then having an open conversation about what you are watching could reveal a few truths about each other’s sexuality.
2. Masturbation as a useful tool: Most people can take advantage of the solo-sessions porn can offer to find out what works for them. A lot of women can attest to the fact that spending some “quality” time alone has helped them figure out, not just what they enjoy, but also what can bring them to the ever-elusive female orgasm. Once they figure out what brings them to the utmost pleasure point, it becomes easier to communicate this to their partner.
3. Spice up your sex life: Pornography has also been known to give a dull sex life the much needed boost.When a couple has been together for a while, it becomes easy for them to go weeks/months without intimacy. Even when they have some sort of sex life, they have become so used to each other that they do not bother to try anything new. Pornography could help couples like this re-ignite their passion, encourage them try something different, and bring back the spark in their relationship.
Pornography can help or hurt, depending on how it is being used. Basically, it all comes down to the one simple rule of life: Moderation. Too much of anything will always have an adverse effect.